Friday, January 25, 2008

Here we go...

I have to admit that I'm a little apprehensive about undertaking a blog. I can tell you from the get-go that this won't be a daily thing (you're probably relieved...). I have one of those personalities where everything is either perfect or I abandon it entirely. So if I start out stating that I won't post every day then I'm not setting myself up for failure. Geez, what a head-case...

I'm an IT project manager and I'm just wrapping of an INSANE project, so blog-time is still a bit limited. But I don't want this blog to be all about work because that 's one of my problems: most of the time my life is all about work. I'm actually more interested in talking about non-work things.

Well, look at that - it's almost 9:30AM and I have to join a conference call. Story of my life.... Actually, I can catch up of a lot of stuff while I'm on these calls. This week has been crazy though - the other day I was on one conference call that went 6 hours straight.

One other salient point for this particular time in my life: On December 2, 2007 I slipped on my patio (black ice) and broke my tibial plateau. In case you're wondering what the devil a "tibial plateau" is, the Xray of the repair (right) gives you some idea of what was busted.

Without getting into too many details, I fell late in the evening on 12/02/2007, was operated on the following day and stayed in the hospital until 12/07/2007. I went to physical rehab in Bloomfield for about 10 days and got home just before Christmas.

The lousy part of the whole injury (other than the fact that it hurt like a mother when it happened) is that you are placed in a "non-weight bearing" status for 8 to 10 weeks. This means I can put no weight (none, zero, zip, nada) on the leg until sometime in February. I spend a lot of time in the wheelchair and use a walker to get around. The truly weird part is that it doesn't hurt and, besides the fact that the leg is weak as hell, I could probably walk on it with no problem at all. My surgeon told me that if I put weight on it too soon I'll bend and/or break the hardware and they'd have to re-break the leg and re-operate. OK, so I won't put any weight on it...

The really, really big disadvantage is that I can't drive a car. Considering I work 50 miles from my home, this presents a problem. Fortunately my boss is allowing me to work at home for this month which has basically saved me from financial ruin.

No comments: