Pages

Friday, February 15, 2008

Back to Work

Well, the tibial plateau is on the mend, according to my doctor. About 2 weeks ago I was given the 'green light' to put weight on this sucker. In his words, 'I'm upgrading you to partial-weight-bearing status". OK. Could we have found a word more vague than 'partial'? How about 'kinda' or 'sort of'? I can only imagine the medical report:

"The subject now presents adequate cellular reconstruction in the skeletal structure of the lower right appendage such that 'kinda weight bearing' status is appropriate."

Throw me a bone here, Doc.

"What exactly does 'partial' mean?", I ask.

After some additional conversation I learn that I am to step on a scale with my right foot to register exactly one third of my body weight. After I have a feel for that I try to duplicate that pressure while walking around. I do this for a few days and them up the pressure by 25 pounds. You repeat this until you're at full weight-bearing, and voila!, I'm whole again!

We'll see...

No comments: